Wednesday, June 18, 2014

FIFA World Cup Soccer (Futbol)

It may be a surprise (or not) that I love a lot of different sports.  I'm a competitive person by nature and I just love a good game and/or competition.  Yes, running is at the top of that list, but there is so much more out there.  But, unfortunately, not enough time to partake in it all.  I'm very guilty of having great interest in something, but not fully paying attention to the details.  So I pick and choose, going through phases of really getting in to watching a sport.  This comes and goes with my life and whatever else is dictating my time.  Sometimes it doesn't matter how much I want to watch something, it just doesn't work with my schedule.  I recorded every single episode of the 2014 Winter Olympics and didn't watch a single one!  It was a busy time and I simply had to rely on daily newsfeed to keep updated on what was happening instead of watching for myself.

I've never played soccer, but my all of my kids have at one point in their lives.  My boys have had much more lasting interest & ability in playing the game versus my girls. Although my youngest played for the first time this year and showed a natural taking to the sport that her older sisters never had.  We don't call her mini me for no reason.



I have coached soccer before.  A couple of years ago I was asked to coach, mostly because they were short on parent volunteers and hey, Carmen is athletic....she likes to run, she has a million kids.....she can do this!  So I took on coaching mostly just to help out.  I mean I have to be there anyway, so why not.  I ended up LOVING being a coach for soccer and it helped give me more insight to the game.

None of this doesn't make me the world's greatest soccer fan by any means, but as I look back they are little seeds that were planted to bring me to my current fascination with it now.  I've always heard about the FIFA World Cup, but didn't pay much attention to it.  The most I could probably tell you about it from years past was the song that Shirka sang for it.  Haha, and that has nothing to do with the actual sport!  But this year my eyes and ears were full on completely interested in this.  Not only for the reasons mentioned above, but I had also just visited my cousin Miles, who really is all about soccer.  I don't think there is anything he doesn't know about the sport.  And, come on, I have a Mexican heritage, all of my cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. have always been all about futbol.  Part of me wonders why I didn't embrace it any sooner, but there's no time to figure out they mysteries of life.  FIFA is here and now and I'm all in!!

I've watched several games.  Mostly of the countries that I'm interested in cheering on.  I have many reasons to support many teams.  I have a friend who lives in Brazil.  Boom, I cheer for Brazil.  My cousin Miles is from Columbia so I cheer for them.  Mexico....of course I cheer for them!!  I realized that I had cheered for many other teams, but remained clueless about Team USA.  Paid no attention to them whatsoever.  My bad.  When they finally played, of course, I cheered for them!  My cousin Miles is definitely my go to man to clue me in on anything and everything that I need to know about each game or just soccer things in general.  There is so much I still don't know or understand.  Things can and will get complicated when 2 teams that I have reasons to cheer for play each other.  Yesterday Brazil played Mexico.


As much as I want to stay neutral and cheer them both on my instinct takes over and I was definitely cheering on Mexico!!  Kind of like running where you want your friend, your opponent to run well, but bottom line you hope to smoke them out on the race course.  Yesterday was my first match up with conflicting interest.  I know as the tournament progresses there will be many others.  I'll take each one on as they play.

Overall, regardless of who wins/looses I really enjoying watching every game.  I always say this with other sports that I watch, like football, baseball, track, etc.  Just give me a great game, a great competition and I'm completely satisfied with what happened.  I want to cheer (which I do with great LOUD enthusiasm) and experience the highs and lows of the game.  I want my heart to be pounding.  My hopes soaring high, then crashing low and back and forth.  Yeah, it's great when my first pick comes out on top.  But I really thrive on the competition.  I am a competitive person!!



Are you watching the FIFA World Cup this year?

Who do you want to win?

No comments:

Post a Comment