Wednesday, October 26, 2011

It's all in the numbers

I have more to post about my cousins death.  I could write about it non stop.  It leaves me with so much to think about.  Yet, I don't want it to consume me in an unhealthy way.  And although this is my blog and I can write what I want when I want.....maybe somethings are better left un-said or un-blogged about.  The funeral is yet pending.  That will be my biggest hurdle yet in this whole ordeal.  For now, to some degree, I admittedly put on my blinders and carry on with life.

I haven't ran this week.  I taught my cardio class on monday, yogalates on tuesday and that has been it so far.  Rewind back to sunday night I was thinking on what I should run this week.  I like to have a general mental plan of what I want to accomplish in the upcoming week in terms of running and/or working out.  Then it dawned on me....I have a race this weekend.  A BIG race.  I had to laugh at myself, because yeah I should perhaps taper prior to such a race.  We know how I am with my training "plans".  I don't.  I don't have one.  I don't follow one.  I just run.

So this race is called the Screaming Pumpkin.  I will be running 4 laps of 6.55 miles.  Wait a minute.....do the math....isn't that a mara.....UT UT...STOP RIGHT THERE!  Don't say it.   I am not running a marathon this weekend.  I am running 4 laps of 6.55 miles.  This is different than a marathon because I won't be running non stop.  I'll run a loop, hang out with my friends, then go out on another, etc.  Running a marathon means heading out running non-stop (more less, unless you count bathroom breaks, etc) for 26.2 miles.  I'm not doing that.  I'm not running a marathon this weekend.  Just a cumulative of 26.2 miles.

This race is different.  It's a race against time.  More specifically it's a race against the strike of midnight.  The race starts at 6 p.m.  You have the next 6 hours (or less, if you want) to finish the 4 laps of 6.55.  The winner of the race is determined not by speed or who comes across the line first or last.  The winner is whoever can cross the finish line closest to midnight without going over.  This is very hard to do.  I did this race last year as a team.  We came within 1 minute of midnight, yet plenty more people crossed the line after us. It is still very fun trying.  If you do finish before midnight you are awarded with a wand & tiara.  Finish after and you'll be left feeling like Cinderella when you are given a pumpkin.

Really, one of the main points, is to have fun.  In addition to me going up there are two other teams of  8.  So there is a group of us women out there running & walking and having fun.  We are all different shapes, sizes, ages, running abilities, etc. yet we are there for the same goal.  To have fun.

In case you haven't realized it yet, if the race time is 6 p.m. - 12 a.m. then we'd be running primarily in the dark.  Oh and there is that little detail of the course running through a cemetery.  Not near a cemetery.  Right smack through it.  Yeah, I did this race last year...it's a little freaky!  But it's safe and F~U~N!  I know you are giving me that weird look, I see it all the time.  I know...I'M CRAZY!!!!

Since the race is near Halloween they also encourage running in a costume.  Last year I was Minnie Mouse.  This year I am going to be a Christmas Tree.  Plenty of fun pictures are sure to follow next week when I tell you about the race.

Since I'll be doing all this running this weekend, I am taking it easy.  I do plan to sneak in a little run with the Sole Sisters tonight.  Otherwise it has been a nice break to "sleep in" and not feel guilty.  Which that still has me rising at 5:30 on most mornings.  Today I had my equivalent of sleeping til noon by not rising until 7:30 a.m.  I need it! 

I am looking forward to friday night and the Screaming Pumpkin.  I promise to give you a full update.  For now, I need to go work on my costume.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're crazy for running through a cemetary. I think you're crazy for running, period. Cemetaries are very peaceful. If I were a runner, I would totally run in a cemetary.

    ReplyDelete