Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Yummy Yummm

I love to bake & cook.  More cooking than baking, but it's all food so it's all good to me!  Actually what I'm inpatient with is cookies.  Every 10-12 minutes of going to the oven, taking them off the pan, loading up new ones, etc.  I'm far too impatient for that.  I want to spend time prepping then letting it cook for a chunk of time.  But I do love cookies so I usually break down & make them from time to time.  To compromise I will often make them into cookie bars and call it good for the day.

I looooove making anything that has hidden/secret and/or unusual ingredients in it.  I make it, feed it to people, listen to them marvel at how yummy it is, then watch their face when I tell them what's really in it.  Years ago my mom had this recipe book that was from Campbell Soup that included some sort of soup in each of their recipes.  There was a particular recipe that was tomato soup cookies & it was always a hit when my mom made it.  So naturally when I was all grown up my mom passed that recipe down & I make it quite frequently as well.  It's SO YUMMY and moist, it's amazing.  And you can make it in either a chocolate chip or raisin variety.  I'm craving them now, just thinking about them!  Anyway......

Recently I came across a cookie recipe from a local dietitian that included avocado.  Not only that, but it has no flour or sugar (it uses honey to sweeten it) in it so it comes out to a nice healthy cookie recipe.  Based on my recent obsession with avocados I couldn't pass this one up.  I've made it for several people and it's been a hit, especially with my kids!



Guess I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  They just look like regular cookies, unless you don't mix/mash the avocado well enough, then you see little green chunks in there.  Personally I think the peanut butter is strong enough that you don't taste the avocado.  Not one person guessed that is what was in there and they all raved about how yummy they were.  Anyway, here is the recipe:


Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
2  - ripe avocado, halved, seeded, peeled & mashed
3 - eggs
2 C. peanut butter
1/2 C. honey
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/4 C. oatmeal
1 bag chocolate chips

Combine avocado, peanut butter, egg & honey until well mixed.  Mix in oatmeal and baking powder.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Bake at 350 degree for 12-14 minutes (for cookies) or 30 minutes (for cookie bars).

Enjoy!!

Do you have a favorite recipe (of any kind) that has a surprise, unusual, secret ingredient?  Share, please!

2 comments:

  1. I might have to try that recipe (although I'm awful about making cookies!). Lately I've seen several recipes for brownies and different things that have black bean - interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey 6pack momma! I have a blog offer for you and your readers regarding the Healthy Habits e-Course :) Message me if you're interested!

    realfoodrunner@gmail.com

    And, the link: http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/2014/02/bloggers-participating-in-healthy.html

    ReplyDelete