Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lightening Never Strikes the Same Place Twice

Lightening was going through my head this morning at 4 a.m.  That is when my alarm went off.  I woke up with surprising great ease.  Surprising because I was all wound for sound last night and could not get to sleep.  It was 10:30 last I looked at the clock.  I was looking at 5 1/2 hours of sleep.  I was wanting to run 10 miles this morning.  That is not promising conditions.  I slept unusually odd last night, yet awoke with great ease at the sound of my alarm.

In the time it took me to cross my bedroom to turn off my alarm I was well aware of the lightening, thunder and the pitter patter sounds of rain hitting the side of the house.  It wasn't anything of massive proportions, but I knew it was not ideal running weather.  This lightening was different.  This lightening was at best questionably safe and potentially "stupid to run in" kind of lightening.  Even though I woke with great ease, I also knew that I would go back to sleep without a second thought.  I hit the snooze, reset the clock and went back to my dream filled state for another hour or so.

I teach a pilates class at 6 a.m. on Thursdays.  When I say I "slept in" I mean I finally get up at 5:30 a.m.  Hardly sleeping in by many people's standard.  It's still dark outside.  Just on the verge of the sun peeking up into the sky.  Of course, on this morning with the weather conditions it was darker than usual.  Even at 5:30 it was still lightening, thundering & on/off raining.  When I finally forced myself out of bed I was struggling with guilt.  I should have gotten up earlier, I should have done SOMETHING!  Yes, I was feeling lazy.  (I know that's what you were all thinking as you read this!!  Haha, I'm teasing)

I convinced myself I would do some type of cross training/vigorous activity after my class.  The whole cross training concept filled my head as I haven't done it too much lately.  All I've done is run, run, run.  Or nothing.  Remember that all or nothing concept with me.  Then my mind moved to the 10 miles that I really wanted to run.  Obviously wasn't going to happen this morning.  I could have gone out after my class.  At this point though I needed to hurry and get dressed.  The prep I needed to do said 10 miles was not feasible.  So my mind wandered to my treadmill.  I own one, but have not been on it in MONTHS!!  I go through spells where I use it, but I don't like to.  I did nothing but treadmill run/train for YEEEEEARS!  Once I started running outside I was hooked....addicted.  I've even been known to run in sub zero temperature than take a step on my treadmill.  Especially our home treadmill. As much as I enjoy having the luxury, it faces a wall and it gets boring.  And the air is hot & stuffy.  Ugh, just thinking about it makes me uncomfortable.  I'm just not a big treadmill runner anymore.

I have figured out how to set up our laptop in front of the treadmill and watch a movie while I run.  So that is my plan.  Might as well kill two birds with one stone.  I'm horrible at sitting down and just watching a movie.  Why?  when you can be getting something done?  So that is my plan.  10 miles on the treadmill today, while I watch a movie.  I hope that putting it here will keep me accountable.  It will be a nice ending to my running week.  IF I don't get it done then I really need to push myself to add an extra day this weekend.  Which I don't want to.  I want to be EXTREMELY lazy and sleep in until, like.....7 or 8.  OH THE HORROR!

No comments:

Post a Comment