Saturday, May 31, 2014

May Rewind & Run Galesburg Run Goals

I don't like to combine 2 different types of posts.  I think each one deserves it own, but I have limited time.  Tomorrow morning I am running the Run Galesburg Run half marathon.  After I finish I have to come home to shower & clean up then get back in time for awards (assuming I place) and from there get in the car with my 2 youngest teenagers & drive straight to Virginia.  In the mean time I have to clean house, pack and go to 4 soccer games (one of which I will coach) today.

First let me wrap up the month of May.  My mileage for the month totaled: 116 miles.  I don't know why I feel like that number is SO low.  I feel like I'm running a lot more than I did the first few months of 2015, but there isn't that big of a difference.  Well, it is what it is.  I know 100+ miles in any given month is pretty decent.  My running is good & strong, no hint of injury (KNOCK ON WOOD!!) so I'm happy with that!  I did continue to run every day and passed another year of running every.single. day.  May 27 was my 2 year anniversary of my running streak.  I had wanted to make a big deal about it, but it fell in the midst of all my recent stress so it quietly came & went.  The end of May takes my streak total to 734 days of completing at least 1 mile every single day. I do not foresee my streak coming to an end any time soon!  I ran 1 race in May, the CASA, Be a Super Hero 5k.  Overall it was a quiet month with a focus on getting good solid runs in to prep for the Run Galesburg Run half marathon.

Run Galesburg Run is being run for the 3rd time this year.  It happens right here where I live, just miles from my home.  Yet, I've never run this race.  I always hated to miss it, but it's just how it was.  I had been toying with the idea of running it this year no matter what.  I wanted to be able to say I've done it, even if only once.  I wanted to get past my marathon to make sure I was healthy enough to get it done.  It's not a cheap race (a little high priced compared to other halfs that I have done), but I do know it's a well run race.  My friends Nick & Tracy are the founders of this race.  They are top notch people who I know put on a very well organized and great event.  Once I got past my marathon and was still running healthy I committed to running this race.  In the meantime I was also contacted by a local friend to raise money and run for Team Asha for Life Community.

In a nutshell, I've very confident that I will run this race very well.  I have a home field advantage.  I know this course forward & backward & have ran it many times before.  My training for it was pretty good.  Being sick & completely stressed out the last 2 weeks put a small dent in some of my training plans, but I know it will all come together once the gun goes off.  I am also very comforted by knowing that 2 months ago I ran a much hillier half marathon with a lot less training and in conditions that near broke me.  And yet, despite my horrible half 2 months ago, I PRd with a 1:37.  So with all the positives in my favor, I'm planning to go out and crush this half marathon and make Galesburg proud of it's own 6packmomma!!  Here are my goals:

 My I FINISHED goal: 
To arrive on time. To start. To finish.  aka: finish feeling fine & having fun. Worse case scenario I just go out & have fun.  Not my plan, but I can always revert to this if I have to.

My I CAN goal:
Finish in 1:45:00
I picked this time because it means I average an 8 minute pace.  I can know I do this on any given day!

My I LOVE IT goal:
To beat my PR which is currently 1:37:34  that was set 2 months ago.  When I ran this I had a horrible race.  Horrible!  Ever since then, I've wondered what I could do if I have a really good race.  I've spent the last 2 months fixing some of the issues I struggled with.  This course is also not as challenging.  Yes, there are some hills, but in the big picture of things I've run some that are much worse.  So I've already prepared myself mentally that they are not a big deal.  Considering all of this should allow me to reach this goal no problem, even if it's just a little bit. 

 
My I DREAM IT goal:
To finish in 1:30:00.  

I set this goal back in January.  It's my big, be scared out of your mind, goal.  I've never ran this far at this pace before, but with a combination of my training and knowing the course inside and out should help me get a lot closer to this goal than before.  Racing where I live is possibly just the motivation I need to really push myself.  I want to represent well and crush this course!!

Since I'm leaving for vacation shortly after I finish I'm not sure when I'll get to update & write a race report.  It might not be until after I get back next week.  Follow me on instagram & facebook for updates.

1 comment:

  1. So much going on! Good luck in the half - can't wait to hear about it whenever that happens:)
    Have fun on vacation!!

    ReplyDelete