Thursday, September 29, 2011

Go figure

I've had a day full of go figures. 

Yesterday I ran and was full of things to blog about.  In fact, I knew in a split millisecond that my post would be titled: STUPID ACORNS.  Captivating, I know.  Today I sat down to write it all out & it just wasn't fittin' my fancy.  Just wasn't jellin' like I thought.  It's sitting in my drafts.  I'm sure the suspense will "kill" you.

Today there was a xc meet for my girls.  I really wanted to go.  A few things stood in my way.  We have a few other family activities going on tonight.  They overlap each other.  I know I'm this awesome great supermom, but I can't seem to figure out how to be omnipresent.  And since I can't clone myself either, I just can't do it all.  However, I do have a great support group of friends to help me out in such situations and I was able to cover that aspect of the situation.

Next was the aspect of getting down to the xc meet.  It's not too far of a drive (45 min. maybe), but I'm not a fan of going by myself or spending the gas money.  Our van is great....wonderful....perfect for us.  But that whole big honkin' ton of metal is not so great, wonderful & perfect for just me.  I'd much rather catch a ride with someone and give them some cash to help with their carpooling efforts in their likely fuel efficient car.  Plus, it would be much more enjoyable to have the company of someone for the ride.  After some calls, it seemed that many other parents were also not going for a variety of reasons.  Well, at least I wasn't going to suffer too much guilt for being the "only" parent not going to the meet.

I came to a point where I decided I just wasn't going to go.  The world was not going to end.  My girls would still love me.  And there is always next weeks meet to focus on.  To help curb any would be guilt I went to the store, bought them some snacks & dropped them off at school along with a nice note sending my regrets, love & well wishes of their race.

At this point in the afternoon I had a meeting with my mentor.  I switched my phone off and focused on our meeting.  Fast forward to 3 p.m., my mentor leaves & I check my phone.  I see that I have two messages.  Before I can check them Jim calls me.  I let him know with still a slight sense of guilt I was not going.  I just couldn't find  a ride, it just wasn't going to work, blah blah blah. I finally do check my messages & my good friend Angela sent me a message an hour previous that she could come pick me up at 3 p.m. to go to the meet.  WHAT!??!?!?  AHHHHHHHHHHH!

All of that thought, tormenting...GUILT and it would have all worked out.  I checked the time of that message.  It came in literally minutes after I had turned my phone off.  If I had gotten that message in a timely manner I could have still changed things and made it to the meet.  Because I didn't know it just wasn't going to work.  However, here I sit now (looking at my daughter, noticing she is wearing a tank top, yet has ear muffs on her ears....NOTHING to do with this post, just funny to mention) and am so glad that it worked out that I didn't go.

I don't know why I struggle with the coulda, woulda, shoulda.  I don't know why I struggle with guilt over such situations.  I have no idea why I'm even telling you all this.  That title probably doesn't make much sense.  Although I have on more than one occasion said "GO FIGURE!" today.  I'm tempted to delete most of this.  I figure though it's good practice for my writing skills.  Something that I need to constantly brush up on.  I used to be an avid writer, have boxes full of my pieces.  I even aspired to be a journalist just like my Aunt Elaine.  But that subject will lead me off on another rabbit trail.  So I'll bid you a good evening.  Don't get blown away (it's awfully windy out there).  And watch out for those STUPID ACORNS!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, gf....I hate that you were doing the guilt-thing today. I guess my 'guilt gene' is recessive, cuz I just don't go thru that stuff. But isn't it cool that God had your back? When that kind of thing happens, I always think it's His way of saying, "You came to the right decision...but I had it under control, My child." : )You did good, gf.

    ReplyDelete