Friday, April 25, 2014

Ready or Not....Here I Come

So it's here.  Marathon weekend.  I have a lot of mixed feeling on this whole subject.  And in theory by evidence of my severe lack of training and very persistent physical issues I should not expect a stellar race tomorrow.  I don't feel prepared to run 26.2, but I'M READY!

I feel more than ready, which again, is completely different than being trained.  However, I long ago (maybe 10ish years) had this thought....this theory, revelation about myself.  I truly believe that God perfectly and wonderfully created me to do this!  I may not be the fastest at it, but I have what it takes to do this and get it done!!  I have plenty of other times where I was lacking training and/or had not reached certain training specifics,  yet I went out and either raced just fine or far exceeded what was expected.  I certainly prefer to be well trained and confident in my training, but that doesn't mean one way or another that things will go good or bad.  Can I run 26.2?  Will I finish no matter what?  YES!  I have no doubt whatsoever!

Last Saturday my running partner & I were chatting at our sons' soccer game.  I was in deep analysis over things....training, running, racing, etc.  She's always so great about listening and help me think things through.  At one point she chuckled and re-assured me that she had NO doubt that I will likely have a great run and probably match if not exceed my performance from last year.  Which, in case you forgot, or don't know is a PR and BQ.  See:
 (I  added my own edits to reflect official finish time)

Here are my goals for my marathon:  

My I FINISHED goal: 
To arrive on time. To start. To finish.  aka: finish feeling fine & having fun. Worse case scenario I just go out & have fun.  Not my plan, but I can always revert to this if I have to.

My I CAN goal:
Finish in 3:40
I picked this time because it is the Boston qualifying time for my gender and age group.  It is slower than I ran last year, but still a good pace.  I don't NEED to qualify for Boston, I already have and that time stands for 2 years in terms of having a time needed to register.  While I haven't done any other speed work since before my half marathon 3 weeks ago, I'm confident in my overall training that I can run this with little to no problem.  This is my base, I can do this ability.

My I LOVE IT goal:
To match my current PR time which is currently 3:29:50  that was set last year when I was better trained & in better physical health.  Or even better yet to beat that and set a new PR.  Anytime I can improve on a previous time makes me very happy!
 
My I DREAM IT goal:
To finish in 3:20 or faster  

Based on my most recent half marathon time I should be able to run 3:14.  Wow!  Really?!?!?  In the event that my body allows it, because one never knows how the body will react once the gun goes off, and I go out & finish with giving 100%  then this dream is very attainable.  

I am also racing the Illinois 5k which is tonight.  Yes, I have goals & plans for that race and I have no doubt I will go out and return a very decent finishing time.  But I also know that the marathon is the bigger picture here so I can not risk doing anything completely stupid.  If everything goes right and I PR tonight, then great.  But it's not worth if it jeopardizes tomorrow. So I won't post those goals.  We'll just see how it goes & I'll save it for a time when I race a 5k with nothing else going on.

For those closest to me I will text you as soon as I finish.  Within a very reasonable time I will post on Facebook and Instagram as well!  Alright.....time to finish packing my bags and head out the door.  Ready or not.....here I come!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I've been a little out of the social media world lately so didn't get over here in time to say good luck!
    Now I will just say that I can't wait to read your recap because I know it will rock!

    ReplyDelete