Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday's Motivation





I'm reminded of this because I often hear...."I don't think I can do that."  Which maybe that is true, but what is that being based on?  Have you tried and actually know this?  I would rather try and fail than not try at all and never know.  If that was the case I'd never know that I could run farther than 5 miles.  Which I did for MANY years.  Not that that is bad, if that is all you want to do or know that is all you can do.  But if you are even thinking for one second....I wonder if I can run a marathon.....a 50k....an ultra.....whatever.  Then just do it!  Maybe not today or tomorrow, but plan, look ahead, set goals....GO FOR IT!

I have something that is in the works that I am going to do sometime soon (as in May or June).  I'm calling it 100/24.  First let me explain that I want to do a 24 hour ultra that is near by in May.  I had my eye on it last year and my schedule didn't allow it.  I still have my eye on it for this year.  I could probably make it happen, but I already know I'm going to be doing some bending over backwards to make it happen.  I should know better because that means I shouldn't do it.....but my mind still tries to convince myself to anyway.  I was telling my husband about this race (even he give me that "are you crazy look" sometimes).  I was telling him my goal for this race.  100 miles.  In 24 hours.  I can sooooo do that.  Right?  I mean....I think.  Ok, so I don't know.  I'm pretty sure I can in my twisted little running mind.  I've got it all figured out.  If I can run a marathon 4 times taking 8 hours for each marathon...I CAN DO IT!  Hello!  It doesn't take me 8 hours to run a marathon so it leaves me plenty of room for sleeping, resting, napping, walking, etc.  Yes, despite what some people think....during such distances you don't literally run the WHOLE time.  You do a little of the above mentioned.  Not to mention stopping for food, clothes change, going potty and other necessities.  Come on, I'm not going to literally run non stop for 24 hours.  Maybe a few people in this world can, but I'm sure I'm not one of them.  Doesn't mean that I can't still achieve my 100 in 24 or at least TRY. 

Since I've gone into that "I wonder if" stage, I have no choice but to try.  I don't think I'm going to push for that specific race, but I am going to try and do it on my own.  That was my husband's idea.  Good idea Jim!!!!  I'm pretty sure I can do it.  My body is capable of amazing things.   So is yours!!!!  What are you wondering about that you can do?  Tell me!

One last thing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment