Thursday, March 26, 2020

Homeschool

Like many others in this nation I have been thrust into the world of homeschooling.  To begin with here's a great summary of what the 6PM (6PackMomma)School looks like:


For over 20 years I have chosen to send my 6pack through the public education system for their formal education.   For the most part I have been extremely satisfied with what has happened through that process.  It's not a perfect process or system and perhaps I just chose to see the good in most things, but really I think our school system (or really it's the people in our system) is pretty darn good.

I purposely stressed the word formal education because I believe education happens in many different ways at many different times from the moment someone is born.  I have always been my children's educator.  I kind of thought that's what everyone was supposed to do.  Granted we live in a flawed world and no, not everyone does do that and even then despite anyone's best efforts no one is going to do it perfectly.  However I chose to focus on and hold myself responsible for my own thoughts, beliefs and choices.  So yes, that is what I have done since the day my child(ren) have been born.  I've been homeschooling all along.  Even though most of my kids are adults, if/when given the opportunity I will continue to teach them in any way that I can.  In a twist of things, sometimes the student also becomes the teacher and vice versa.  Life is an never ending process of learning.  (Remember my favorite quote).

Everyone learns differently and I would be the first to claim that I am not smart.  Book smart that is.  Wait, wait, wait!  I did not say I was dumb or stupid.  Although to be honest this is an area of low self confidence I do struggle with.  However, aside from any joking or silliness, I stand firm that I am not dumb or stupid.  In fact, I am very smart in many different aspects.  Perhaps genius from time to time, just not very often in my case.  And really, that is ok!  I don't need to be perfectly smart and genius all the time.  I'm just over here trying to be me, embracing who I am and the strengths God has given me.

The public school system seems to thrive and be based on being book smart.  I'm not claiming that to neither be good or bad.  I'm certainly not wanting to debate anything about this topic either.  Just my perspective.  So a system that is based on lots of formal benchmarks of reading, writing, math, science, etc. that mostly involve BOOK WORK is not really my jam.  While there has not been any mandated e-learning put into place yet many teachers and putting forth an effort to get some school work and activities out there to the students.  Bravo and thank you for those efforts.  Unfortunately I'm failing miserably at even enforcing such work. (I am trying though!!)  I've seen many claims that the ages of my children should only need 2-3 hours of school/book work every day anyway.  TWO to THREE HOURS?!!??!!?  Sheesh, even I'm the first to jump in and protest and say whaaaaat that is just too much.  Tell me I have to spend that much time cooking in the kitchen, doing P.E., cleaning out and organizing something....OK!  No problem, I've got this.

Interestingly, for anyone who doesn't know this about me, I work full time for the public school system.  I fully recognize and conform to this system mentality and formality every day all the time for my employment.  And honestly I LOVE it!  It's not what I personally prefer, but I roll with it and enjoy it so much.  My 6pack, for the most part, have always enjoyed and thrived in this environment as well.  However without this formality in place it goes to the wayside, but really for the most part though we are still learning a lot every day and all the time.

Right now I'm really rocking my version of school which is pictured above with a few minor book academia sprinkled in.  Honestly though it's probably less than 1 hour a day right now.  Depending on what happens with this quarantine and pandemic we are all trying to survive, it might change.  If the school system implements some formal e-learning I will oblige.  In the mean time it's time to wake the natives (yes, I know it's 11 a.m.) for a day of life and learning at 6PM School.


2 comments:

  1. I agree...but just wait...to count for an elearning day it has to be 5 HOURS!! Now, that doesn't have to be 5 hours tied to a computer and strictly doing book/worksheet work. I think it should look like and include some of that and some of your 6PM schedule!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know! I'll conform when we're required to. I like Asplund's spin on it though, that their social-emotional needs come first. Mine tend to be well ahead of any bench mark the district has ever had anyway so I"m not too worried about their actual education. We'll figure it out and get through it!! :)

      Delete