Friday, April 12, 2013

Pre-Race Goals

Tomorrow I will run the Carl Sandburg College Charger Challenge 2 mile race.  This is a race that I have done several times.  This year will make my 11th year.  After last years race I wrote up this big race report.   It goes into detail about why I choose the 2 mile over the 4 mile option and also gives my full history with this race.  In case you don't want to go read all that, let me give you a brief synopsis:

Ran 10 x's
Fastest: 13:49
Slowest 14:56
If I didn't place 1st overall, then I'm second overall.

So, what are my goals for this race?

My I FINISHED goal:
To arrive on time. To start. To finish.
aka: Finish Feeling Fine & having Fun

My I CAN goal:
Finish in under 14:00

I am very capable of 7 minute miles.  I don't run them often, but recently after some mile repeats I know I can do this with ease.  It's not an all out effort, but really putting some thought & speed into it.

My I LOVE IT goal:
To beat my PR which is currently 13:49 that was set last year.  Anytime I can improve on a previous time makes me very happy!
 
My I DREAM IT goal:
Once upon a time I used to run 5 minute miles.  No, it was not in my jr. high or high school years.  Long story short, I was just average in those years.  When I was in the Army I had a drill sergeant or two who saw something in me.  Something that I never saw and they pushed my limits.  They made me run with the guys group.  Hence my 5 minutes miles.  More recently though I happen to know I am capable of 6/6:30 minute miles.  Only on a treadmill though when I'm doing mile intervals.  My hopes would be that that training will carry over onto the road and my own doing.  It NEVER hurts to dream so I would love to run a 13 or 13:30 race tomorrow.

The biggest thing I need to remember is that I'm racing against myself and the clock.  This is a small race.  In gender terms I have little to no competition.  Even when you factor in the boys/men there still isn't much to race against.  Sometimes it helps to have that visual, that person to keep up with, to pass at the end, etc.  Nothing wrong with that, but tomorrow I want to go out and beat my own butt.  I want to cream myself.  I know, it's only 2 miles, but I want to run and finish with every ounce of speed I have in my body.  I have so much to give and I want to leave it all out there on the road.

2 comments:

  1. wow- you go girl! be sure to give us an update :)

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete