Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Conversations

I was out at the mall last night doing gift wrap for the GHS band boosters.  A gentleman came along and started conversing with me.  Not generic conversation.  One on one personal conversation.  Problem, though....I have no idea who he was.  I wasn't coming up with a name to a face.  He seemed to keep it simple and short and if I had any doubt if I really knew him or him me, he referred to my husband by first name.  D'oh!

Later on he came back.  This time he wanted something wrapped so I had to continue to talk with him like I knew exactly who he was.  He had plenty of conversation to offer while he stood there & I wrapped.  He asked about what sports we (our kids) are playing right now.  He told me the name of his son, however at that crucial moment he had shifted his plastic bag in his hands & I didn't hear his son's name.  Based on what he was telling me though I figured out he has a 6th grade son.  Great....that narrows it down to a few hundred boys.   I kept trying to sneak glances at his face hoping to get a good look and have a ah-ha moment.  That is hard to do while focusing on wrapping a present, carrying on the conversation and trying to not look too creepy or flirtatious in the process.  I offered him a gift tag and watched while he filled it out hoping to at least get a first name.  Nope, the gift was from SANTA!  Good grief, can I catch a break?!?!?!

The whole thing amused me and I had to keep from laughing out loud right there on the spot.  I considered just saying...dude, I have no clue who you are.  But the guy was so nice, I didn't want to break his spirit OR let's be honest, make myself look like an idiot.  I finished his present & sent him on his merry way.

No comments:

Post a Comment