Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tuesday's Tunes: Road Closed

I've completely lost my mojo for 5 a.m. runs.  Here's what I think happened.  It got really REALLY nice outside.  A month ago, or so, I ran at 5 a.m. and wore nothing, but a shirt & skirt and even that felt a little too muggy.  At 5 a.m.  I'm not saying I'm a fan of the warmer temps, but it feels nice to walk out the door when it's still dark and feel the warmth of the day.  Then it went back to being cold.  Obviously not freezing cold, but cold that makes you want to stay snuggled in your bed.  Especially when I know I can run later in the day and feel that warmth & sunshine on my face.  I'm not complaining, I'm thankful I have the flexibility to change my work around.  I'm just noting my loss of mojo.  I hope it comes back when the weather warms again.  Although the earlier rising of the sun is encouraging as well.  Seeing the sky begin to wake up at 6 a.m. is EXCITING!!!!  Yes, I am a dork.  Whatever.

So I skipped the 5 a.m. run today.  So glad I did.  The weather is PERFECT right now.  Warm, but not hot.  Not cold, just a slight cool breeze from time to time.  When I run I try to pre-think of what I will write about on le blog.  Yes, you are often on my mind.  I was listening to a podcast and not music so my mind was more focused on that & not other things.  A few ideas came to mind a long the way.  They were titled:  Cheater and Cutting Corners.  Neither was about me, but someone else I observed while running.

I came across an under pass that was being worked on (Losey & Lincoln for my local peeps) and they had it barricaded off and a ROAD CLOSED sign posted.  Now, I'm not sure what work they are actually doing there.  Something to do with the overpass.  It's been a work in progress for several months.  As I driver I knew that it was closed for awhile, but then opened.  I don't know if they temporally closed it during the day or what not.  My run was planned to go directly through that underpass.  As I approached the area I could see that the road was perfectly intact, there appeared to be no danger in my path if I had cut through there.  I was thinking the whole time, that they just had it open & not it's closed.  Maybe they do this only during the day to get certain work done.  I don't know.  I decided I would just run through the area.  I did see a group of men workers standing (not working) there and proceeded through.  Even though I had headphones on I saw one guy give me a dirty look then yell "HEY!  IT'S CLOSED!"  I threw my hands up to signal ok....ok and I did a complete 180 and headed down another street running away from the area.  It didn't mess up my route too much since the direction I headed runs parallel with where I needed to go anyway.

So for the next mile or so I mulled over this situation.  I don't know what the guy intended, but I perceived him to be a JERK!  I realized I felt no respect for him.  Maybe it's because he obviously was 100+ pounds overweight and I was guessing he didn't ever run.  Or appreciate running.  I know, that's awfully judgemental of me.  I'm not saying I'm right or wrong with my thoughts & assumptions.  Just telling you what went through my mind.  On the flip side, maybe it was dangerous for me to pass through the area & I didn't know it.  Maybe he was just looking out for me.  Honestly, it didn't feel that way.  While I don't know the extent of the work they are doing, I do know the road was intact and I could have passed through no problem.  It made me wonder....are the Road Closed signs just for drivers & vehicles or should I as a runner always abide by them too?

Since I listened to a podcast I don't have many tunes to report:  Here is a link to part of the podcast that I listened to.  It's Mark Driscoll, a pastor of Mars Hills Church in Seattle.  Otherwise, I only had time to listen to two songs:  Once in Love with Amy sung by Barry Manilow (I could not find a youtube video of Barry singing it).  Love in the Right Place - Bryan White.  Me and hubby used to listen to this song ALL the time.  One of our favorites : )

Let me know your thoughts on rules of the road for drivers/vehicles vs. runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment