Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday's Findings: One Man's Trash

Sorry,  I know I'm stating the over obvious, but I haven't been running for 4 weeks now.  So, nothing to report in my findings department.  I have been out on my bike more this last week, just doing things around town and riding my bike instead of taking the car.  I have kept my eye out on those rides to see if I see anything.  I did almost pick up a little plastic table I saw fully intact right down my street.  I passed it, got a chuckle out of the thought of turning around, picking it up & carrying back home on my bike.  It seemed fair game, it was in the street.  After some thought though I left it.  I had been an awfully windy day, maybe it blew out of that person's yard.  Ok and honestly I was worried that the second I tried to pick it up someone would see me & yell "hey that's mine".  So I left it.

I'm a sucker for yard sales. I love them!  Sometimes I scout out the classified, plot my course and go to town.  Other times I see a sign and randomly stop.  Sometimes I don't even have any cash on me, but I will stop anyway.  You never know what deal or treasure you will find!

Last week I came upon a yard sale right down my street.  I buy so much stuff from my neighbors it's not even funny.  At first glance I didn't think there was going to be much for me to buy, but I like to be polite and browse and pretend to be semi interested in something.  I've had yard sales myself and I hate when people walk up, scoff at what you have and turn in haste.  So looked through the stuff anyway.  The first thing that caught my eye was this:

Now, before you ask....no, I don't have a habit of bowling.  I enjoy the game, but it's not a regular thing I participate in.  I  never have nor do I plan to belong to any leagues or even visit the bowling alley more than a few times a year.   But...but...but....look at that set.  Bowling ball, with patten leather shoes AND a case to hold it all.  Want to know how much?  $2!!!!  Who can't pass up that deal?!?!?!?  Honestly it was the shoes that the convinced me to buy it.  Real, old fashion leather bowling shoes!  You never know when this will come in handy.  I can't think of anything, but I'll keep you posted!

Next I came across a box of old cameras and found this:

You can't even buy these things any more.  Even better it was only $1!!!!  Down in my basement (which, by the way Suzie is NOT done being cleaned & organized : / ) I have a chunk of costumes and things of this sort.  When Halloween or any dress up occasion come up I have lots in my basement to choose from.  I have visions of me being dressed up as a tacky tourist, camera hanging around the neck, etc.  Or when the drama department needs such a prop I can be of very happy assistance in this area.  I know I'll never use it as a camera, that thought never crossed my mind.  It's just something neat to have.  My kids even oooohed and awwwwwed over it like an ancient artifact when I showed it to them.

That lead me to my last find, which is very similar to the previous one:

This camera was also priced for $1 AND it came with a leather case.  Wow!  I know realize that it's missing a plate across the front to show the brand, but it's still a neat looking camera.  Now, I think it's fair to say I'm neither young or old.  I certainly remember Polaroid cameras, but I don't remember cameras that looked like this.  Which to me makes it at least feel older.  Based on the booklet that it came with I think this camera is about as old as I am, maybe a few years younger.  Again, no use for it as a camera, but for that price I could not pass it up.

Some of you may be concerned about this "disease" I have of buying cheaply priced stuff that people want to desperately get rid of.  I can't help it, or well, I can but it's so fun.  It's even better when I come across stuff that is retro/antique/old fashion....whatever you want to call it.  I was trying to be creative & call it a combination of those things. Like old retrantiqufash.  Or we could just call it JUNK and me CRAZY!  Well, whatever.  These treasures are mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment