Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday's Tunes - Auto pilot

I didn't think I was going to have any tunes to report to you today.  My running partner has kicked things up a notch and we've been running together a lot.  Usually for every ten of my "do you want to run" invites to her we actually only run once or twice.  It's just how our running relationship works.  It's neither good or bad, we just run when we can even if we think about it more often.  Anyway, for a change things have lined up several times recently for us to be out racking up the miles together.  I am always so happy and thankful when I get to run with her.  She always makes my run better!

I was planning on running with her this morning which means I would not have listened to any music.  When I woke up this morning I saw a text from her that she wasn't going to make it.  I was tempted to sleep in and just deal with a run later.  That ready or not here I come go get 'em attitude is very hard to find at 4 a.m.  Knowing that Tuesdays have very little wiggle room for a run I finally got myself up and going.  5 miles is what I was shooting for and I was going to have just enough time to get that done.  No lollygagging, taking my time or thinking I had earned a slower pace.  Doing any of those would have resulted in less miles.  Yes, there is a huge difference in getting 4 vs. 5 miles done.

With all of this going on I felt distracted during my run.  When I looked back over my song list I don't even remember hearing most of the songs.  In one ear and out the other.  On one hand I'm glad that I can do this.  As much as I love music and use it during all solo runs, I don't rely on it to motivate me or keep me going.  Yes, it does often do that for me, but it's not it's sole purpose.  On the other hand I don't like that I was not able to really take in the moments of my run.  I wouldn't say that I didn't enjoy my run, but then again I was so distracted I can't say I did enjoy it either.  I seemed to be on auto pilot.  I just went and ran.  I was really glad that I got it done, but don't want this to be a regular habit with my running.

Here are the tunes that played while I ran:

Getting to Know You - The King & I (finding the original sung my Marni Nixon was not possible)
Look Away - Chicago
Heal the World - Michael Jackson
Patience - Guns N' Roses
Cuddles the Calico Kitten - Dora Hall
I'm a Believer - The Monkees
Sexy and I Know It - LMFAO
Who Let the Dogs Out - Baha Men
Lord, I Lift Your Name on High - Go Fish
This Is One of Those Moments - Yentl/Barbra Streisand
Beautiful Things _ Gungor

No comments:

Post a Comment